Friday, August 21, 2009

Grin and Bear It

I drove off to the big city this morning all psyched up and full of hope for our Urologist appointment. After the appointment…. I can’t help but feel apprehensive. If this man is the person is the doctor who is going to convince my insurance company (along with my OB) that hubby and I deserve further treatments… we are royally screwed.

*Sigh* I really don’t want to turn this blog into a total whine-fest. That’s not how I am IRL. I’m known as the obnoxiously perky ray of sunshine (trust me though folks- it take a helluva lot of coffee to get me that smiley!) Coffee addictions aside, I will try describe my morning as positively as I can with a little bit of TMI for rubber-necking value….
For all intents and purposes, hubby’s Urologist will be known as: Dr. Anal Probe. Yup, hubby now knows what it’s like to get *that intimate* with a man. I’ve read a more than a few blog entries about the fabled first Urologist appointment and in none of them was a rectal exam mentioned!!! Ah, men and their faked modesty!

Dr. Anal probe also examined hubby’s goods… all while talking to me (and mind you folks- I was sitting about three feet away from poor hubby and Dr. during the rectal exam too.) So Dr. AP is sitting there, hubby’s equipment in his hands talking to me and taking his sweet time with things (much to hubby’s chagrin.) The only thing I can liken this experience to is watching an episode of Crocodile Hunter with the late, great Steve Irwin while he’s holding and describing some sort of reptilian creature: Crikey! We’ve got a real beaut here folks….

Dr. AP was also one arrogant son of a gun. He looked all of about me and hubby’s ages (25 and 26 respectively) so it’s highly doubtful he’s learned about humility (or bedside manner) at this point in his tenure. He told us hubby’s S/A was “fine” (3% normal morphology on the Kruger scale is NOT fine, thankyouverymuch- I’ve done my research.) He also ripped apart the Kruger criteria itself saying it’s “too nitpicky” (well then why does every reputable ART clinic use this criteria over WHO criteria buddy?!?!?!) He also said that our infertility problems are MY fault (umm… 6 months of Clomid have corrected that, pal) and even had the nerve to hint that we aren’t conceiving because we aren’t timing intercourse properly. That was the final straw. Apart from wanting to go collect every positive OPK I’ve ever used to shove up his rear and take every single one of my painstakingly drawn out cycle charts to shove down his cocky throat I had gotten my fill of Dr. Anal probe. He ordered another S/A for hubby “just in case” but told us he doesn’t expect to need to see us again (thank the Gods above.)

Bloggers out there who have BTDT: I’m thinking we should go outside the coverage network for a second opinion… any thoughts (or commiserations?)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Welcoming you to Mel's Blog Roll. We have MFI and when DH went to get is SA and heard the results his doctor said," The numbers aren't the greatest but you CAN get someone pregnant. It is possible." Well geez. I hope that someone is me, and how the hell does that help us?
    In my experience- we have both male and female if- get 2-3 opinions.
    Stop by my blog sometime. I am founder of the non profit Parenthood for Me.
    www.parenthoodforme.org
    Take care,
    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a good MD at all! Yes, find someone else! My hubby urologist was the first one to tell us there WAS a problem and we would have to do IVF. I didn't believe him, at first, but was grateful he was honest. (Although my hubby's SA results were pretty bad.)

    If you start seeing an RE he will be able to treat both of you at the same time. I wish we would've done that a lot sooner. We were seeing my OB and DH urologist and we needed more than that. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete