I have many guilty pleasures in life (need we bring up my coffee addiction again?) One of them, despite my being a hardcore jeans and t-shirt tomboy my whole life is my closet addiction to Sex and the City. During college when home on break, a number of my pals and I would get together on Sunday nights and be glued to the tv at 9 P.M. to see the debut of the new episodes.... this tradition continues on nights that I have free to hang out and relax while hubby is gone watching this week's NASCAR race... So here I am tonight with four of my favorites from days past, a bowl of popcorn and a smidge of chocolate.... and then it hits me: my beloved show has been perpetuating the just relax/go on vacation/try to adopt and you'll get pregnant myth.
****Spoiler alert for those who have no seen the movie****
I mean, C'Mon. We all rooted for Charlotte through bedroom issues with Trey and then fertility problems with Harry (and who could forget the acupuncture episode?!?) Fast forward to the end of season six when the adopt Lilly from China... only for Charlotte to get pregnant on her own in the movie. I can understand where Hollywood is coming from. They needed a warm and fuzzy ending for their drama (what I like to call "The Notebook effect" whoever else has had a loved one with Alzheimer's is nodding their head by now I'm sure.) Although now that I am re-watching the series while going through this whole messy infertility journey myself, I can't help but feel a little jaded this time around.
Edit: I apologize for what a rambling mess this probably is. Blame it on what you will: overexposure to Manolo Blahnik's or some really very good dark chocolate to make me a bit loopy!
1093rd Friday Blog Roundup + 20th Anniversary
20 hours ago

No comments:
Post a Comment